Thursday, February 26, 2015

Fruit and Nut Slice - Paleo, Vegan option


The first time I threw this slice together was when my son arrived home after working away for the week with a huge bag a mixed fruit and nuts. He dumped it into my pantry and I was like! Far out, where am I going to put that! It had a lot of peanuts in it and some fruit, not much compared to the amount of nuts but somehow it worked. The combined flavours were lovely. I've done up 2 versions, one is vegan and it contains a fruit and nuts mix I put together myself. I've added all of the information to the recipe which gives you quite a few options. 


Non vegan version with the store bought fruit and nut mix containing peanuts. 

As he has been working away for the last month or so and comes home for the weekends I make him some healthy treats to take back with him. He's very good at doing food prep for the week but that's just for his lunches. Usually he does steamed sweet potato, greens and some baked chicken. Pretty good for a 24yr old I think. He loves to eat healthy and is really in touch with how much better it makes him feel as well as the host of other benefits it brings. So to compliment his savoury meals I make the sweet treats. Lucky me, even though he's grown up and independent I still have a good excuse to get into the kitchen and bake! Zen time I call it as it' really is a form of relaxation where I can embrace my creativity at the same time. 

Vegan version 

I've made the recipe a few times and as I did a batch for my husband to take back to work as well I experimented with a vegan version so I am going to add both recipes. For the vegan version I didn't have the fruit and nut mix so I made up my own. These recipes are interchangeable so you can use what you have and apply it to your own dietary requirements. They are both really tasty but the vegan version although the finished slice is a bit more fudge in the centre the outside was super sweet and crisp. It was amazing, it reminded me of a really good chocolate brownie. You know that ones that are super gooey on the inside with lot so crispy, crunchy edges! Well if your more of a fruit lover that a chocolate lover like I am you will love the vegan version.


Gluten free Fruit and Nut Slice
Makes: 1 20x20 cm slice

Ingredients:

2 cup fruit nut mix or 2 cups homemade fruit nut mix*
1 cup almond meal
1 cup coconut
1 cup coconut sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
2 tsp baking powder
2 egg whites or 1 egg or flaxegg**
100ml coconut milk or nut milk
2 tbs coconut oil

Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 180oc and line or grease a 20cm x 20cm baking dish.
  2. Add all of the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir with a spoon to combine ensuring that the baking powder has been evenly distributed.
  3. Make a well in the centre and add the wet ingredients all at once then stire then through until you get a thick mixture.
  4. Pour or spoon the mixture into the baking dish and bake for 35-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out dry.
  5. Allow it to cool before cutting.
  6. Refrigerating will help to make it firm enough to cut properly. I use a serrated knife in a sawing motion. If you don’t mind it crumbling a bit then just go ahead and enjoy it while it’s warm, it will be a bit crunchy on the outside and a bit gooey on the inside.
NOTE:
  1. The vegan version using the flax egg will take longer to cook, bake for up to 1 hour keeping an eye on it and you will achieve the most amazing crispy outer with a fudgy centre. It’s divine! Just like a fruit and nut brownie. J
  2. * I used 1 cup mixed nuts and seeds, 1/3 walnuts, 1/3 almonds, 1/3 pepitas and gave them a quick pulse in my blender for chop them into evenly sized chunks. Same goes for the fruit, I used 1/3 pitted dates, 1/3 sultanas, 1/3 dried organic apricots pulsed like the nuts to chop them evenly.
  3. ** Flax egg – combine 2tbs ground flax with 4 tbs water (6 tbs if just using a dessert spoon and not a proper tbs measurer)
Let me know, is vegan important to you or do you just like the idea that everything you eat it pure and natural made with whole ingredients with no preservative or additives? And most of all do you love to bake all of your own goodies to ensure you know exactly what's in your food.  I'd love to hear from you.

Enjoy! :-) 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)