Inspiration from an Instagram page I follow is the reason this finally happened this morning. I've been meaning the make a baked granola for like.. Years!!! This is so super crunchy and tasty it's just like crumbled up fruit and nut Anzac biscuits! but with no grains. I didn't have much of any of my sweeteneres left so I used what I had and the combination works really well but if you don't have them all then just using one or two would also work. I do think though that using one liquid sweetener along with the coconut oil is what really enhances the crunch so I advise that you use at least one. Agave, coconut blossom nectar or golden syrup would also work.
Crunchy Fruit and Nut Granola
3 cups mixed activated nuts and seeds – include almonds, walnuts, pepitas, and sunflower seeds
1 cup pitted dates
1 cup sultanas
1 cup goji berries
1 cup de-stemmed dried figs
1 cup dried coconut
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla powder or paste
½ cup coconut sugar
½ cup honey
½ cup maple syrup
¾ cup coconut oil
- Add the nuts and seeds to a food processor or blender and very gently chop them so that you end up with evenly sized pieces. Don’t go for too long or turn the blender up too high or it will turn into a meal. You want even texture and crunch.
- Turn into a large mixing bowl with the sultanas, goji berries, coconut, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Add the dates and figs to the blender or food processor (don’t worry about cleaning it) and do the same this that you did with the nuts and seeds by gently blending to cut them into evenly sized chunks then add to the mixing bowl with the other ingredients.
- Add the coconut sugar, honey, maple syrup and coconut oil to a small pot on low heat and gently melt and dissolve the sugar and coconut oil without boiling then when it is completely melted and the sugar looks like it has dissolved add to the mixing bowl of dry ingredients and stir through.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper or a silicone mat and spread the mix evenly then bake for 30 minutes gently turning the outer edges to the centre to create an evenly browned and crunchy granola.
- Remove from the oven and let cool, then crumble into small chunks and store in an airtight container.
Fantastic served with fruit salad, nut milk or just as a healthy snack all by itself.