Monday, July 14, 2014

Vegan Savory Cream Cheese





I'm really surprised I don't already have this on my blog. It's a staple! A healthy and equally as tasty alternatives to cruddy store bought processed favorites that I like to have on hand at all times. Another is tomato sauce. Did you know it has just as much sugar in it as chocolate sauce! Now, don't get me wrong I'm not against sugar but there's good sugar and there's not so good. My tomato sauce recipe is one of the easiest things to make and doesn't take long at all. I substitute the xylitol with coconut sugar, maybe I should revisit the recipe and post again. I made a batch yesterday, along with this cheese sauce so I'm all stocked up. Think I'll make some of my Meat Free Sausage rolls this afternoon for Jordi seen as he is on holidays and they make a good lunch or snack. Wish I could find gluten free pastry though, if you know of any good brands made from good ingredients with no nasties in Australia please let me know..

The Savory Yeast Flakes sometimes know as Nutritional Yeast Flakes i this recipe do more than add an amazing cheesy flavor it's also a good source of B vitamins including B12 which is lacking in a vegan diet. I don't pre-soak the cashew because it allows more water in the mix for blending making it easier on the blender motor. When it's finished  and sits for a while the water gets absorbed and creates a nice firm mixture. I've had it last up to 3 weeks in the fridge but it not often that it lasts the long.

I usually add it to anything the boys like that involved melted cheese. Breakfast is poached eggs, smoked salmon and Savory cream cheese sandwich. Another is spread on burgers with pesto, Harissa or Dijon mustard and added to dairy free cheese or white sauce for mornays etc. You can even serve it as a dip for veggies and crackers. It may need to be thinned out though.

Vegan Velveeta Cream Cheese

Makes: About 250ml

Ingredients:

1 cup raw cashews
1/3 onion
1/2 - 1 clove garlic depending on it's size
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
2/3 tsp Himalayan or Celtic salt
4 large tbs savory yeast flakes
Approx 1/2 cup water

Preparation:

Add all ingredients to a high speed blend except the yeast flakes and blend until super smooth and creamy, you may need to add a little water if it's not blending freely. You don't want it too runny but don't worry too much as the cashews have not been soaked they will help to thicken the mix once it sits for while. Once you have reached the consistency where it is smooth with no grainy bits you can add the yeast flakes and blend again on high until incorporated and thick. Pour or spoon into a sterilized resealable jar and store in the fridge.

I little indulgent snack, zucchini chips dipped in the Savory Cream Cheese. 

Recipe shared on Allergy Free Wednesdays
http://wholenewmom.com/traditional-tuesday/foolproof-gf-pizza-crust-dark-chocolate-cherry-tart-butter-pecan-ice-cream-v-cauliflower-nuggets/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)