Sunday, April 27, 2014

Olive and Rosemary Foccocia with Vegan Cream Cheese - Grain free, gluten free and dairy free



 Don't you just love long weekends! It's been fantastic couple of weeks with it being Easter last weekend then our Anzac Day long weekend straight after. Friday felt like Saturday, Saturday felt like Sunday. It's made life feel like it's slowed down a bit which is such a good feeling in this fast paced, high tempo life that we all live now. I blame the internet for that but unfortunately we are all caught up in it. What would we do without it now? I mean we would communicate more, relax more. Relaxation these days is vegging out with your smart phone, tablet, TV or game! Pretty sad for our younger generation. They can't just BE! I find myself doing it a lot. I just sit and look into our garden, the pond or just space. But I know I go blank. It's lovely. It must be my little form of meditation.



Which bring me to something else I've been thinking about a bit lately.
I get so many emails and notifications about meditation and how to do it, why we should do it and the health benefits of it. I've come the conclusion that it's really needed now because so many people don't allow their brains to switch off. Examples of this include when they are eating, on public transport, walking, running, waiting for someone or an appointment. These are all perfect times to just sit and go blank but not many people do that now, straight away, out comes the phone.

And my biggest erk!! Phones at the table! What's with that! My family know that they are banned, don't have it there, don't answer it if someone calls, don't check massages, nothing! I call in respect! It's our special time to chat and communicate with each other. I always make sure that we sit at the table for every meal that I prepare for them. Even when it's just Jordi and I at home and we don't even eat the same thing, we sit together and eat together. The result of this time together has meant the my oldest 2 who don't live at home but have been around the last fortnight have organised quite a few get togethers.  I've done a few lunch's, breakfast's and ..yeh, I think I've done dinner as well! They love getting together and spending quality time with each other and as a family. I can see it in them and I'm really proud of them for that. We usually end up sitting around for quite some time after just chatting.

This little recipe is a result of the breakfast we had this morning. I had to get up early to make some fresh grain free bread so that it was fresh and hot out of the oven when breaky was to be served and I wanted to get my walk with Roxi (our dog) done before they got here. As per usual when I have a bowl out and I've made something I can't help but feel inspired to create something new.  This is the result of this mornings inspiration. I gave the kids a try with the fresh batch of Cream Cheese I'd made that I always spread on toast for breakfast with their eggs and trimmings. Verdict was that they liked it and thought it would make a great accompaniment to afternoon drinks. That's all the encouragement I need to post a new recipe. It's actually really nice, it's quite light and full of flavour. It would also be great spread with avocado, guacamole and especially good with Myajvar and the Pumpkin and Fennel Myavar.

The cream cheese is really versatile and can be used for everything you'd use a savoury cream cheese for, bonus is that it's dairy free and full of 'B' vitamins from the savoury yeast flakes used to give it the cheesy taste. The flakes are a great source of vegan vitamin 'B12' something that is lacking in the vegan diet so make an excellent addition to recipes and meals if you follow it. I love it sprinkled on my salad with thick avocado dressing. I've added the cream cheese recipe as well below the Focaccia recipe.

 Olive and Rosemary Focaccia

Makes: 1 x 15-20cm round Focaccia

Ingredients:

1 cup blanched almond meal
1/3 cup coconut flour
1 tsp psyllium powder
1 tsp herbamare or seasoned salt
1 crush garlic cloves
5 sliced black olives
1 sprig of fresh rosemary (strip the leaves from it) or 1-2 tsp dried
2 tbs Extra Virgin Olive oil
1/2 tsp bi carb soda
1/2 cup water

Preparation:

Add all dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir to distribute the bi carb and garlic. Then add the olive oil and water the stir until you get thick dough similar to bread dough. Shape it into a ball then flatten onto a baking tray to about 2-3 cm thickness and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for about 40 minutes.  Serve  hot with accompaniments or use as a bread substitute.

 Cream Cheese

Add 2-4 tbs of Savoury Yeast Flakes to this cream cheese recipe. Store in a sterilised glass jar in the fridge. I find it lasts quite a while, up to 2 weeks if not contaminated by dirty knives etc.


I hope you're enjoying this long weekend as well, if your in Australia that is. :-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment