Saturday, March 16, 2013

Tomato Sauce - sugar free


I found out from the "I quite sugar" guru Sarah Wilson that bottled BBQ sauce has the same amount of sugar in it as Chocolate syrup!! What's doing with that? I've made BBQ sauce before and it came out really well, also did a raw one that the family liked - now that's actually amazing!.... yep they like it. Anyway I figured Tomato sauce is probably just as bad a BBQ so while I was making the meat free sausage rolls on Saturday I threw together this Tomato sauce after researching a few recipes to get ideas for ingredients, this is what I came up with and it turned out really well. Didn't take long and was very easy.

I'm inspired now so next up is a BBQ sauce, will  post the results.

Tomato Sauce – sugar free

Makes – 2 bottles

Ingredients:

1 tbs coconut oil
1 bottle tomato passata
1 medium onion – chopped
½ cup xylitol or equivalent stevia
½ cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Celtic or Himalayan sea salt
1 tsp ground dry yellow mustard
½ tsp celery seeds
½ tsp crushed garlic
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp ground all spice
¼ tsp cinnamon – I didn't use it this time but I will try it next time.

Preparation:

Clean and sterilise 2 glass bottles.

Cook onion in heated coconut oil then add the remaining ingredients and simmer on low until it has reduced and is semi thick. Blend and bottle.

Note: be careful if blending in a blender as the heat makes the lid blow off, make sure to leave the lid a open a little so that the expansion of air can get out and not create a mess all through your kitchen. I did mine with a stab blender… easy!

PS. Wish I'd taken a photo of the surf this morning while I was walking... it's awesome!! Kelly Slater was probably out there after winning the Quicksilver Pro at the same spot on Tuesday.. (eye candy as well!!)

UPDATED 24/01/14

NOTE:

I've also made this with coconut sugar and the results are great. Here is an Info graphic I put together..


Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)