Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sausage rolls - meat free, sugar free

Wow!! the weather here has been crazy. One minute raining the next it's sunny. It's driving a lot of people crazy but I love it.. it's the tropics in me, a Top End Territorian for 38 years. Rain is like snow, I love it and the atmosphere it creates. It's such a good excuse the get all cosy, veg out and do some baking for my family.

My youngest, Mr Jstar loves sausage rolls! Well, actually they all love anything wrapped in puff pastry so I fished out my meat free sausage roll recipe I've had for years. It's one they've always liked and as well as being easy to put together. I also made a sugar free tomato sauce to go with them which I will add soon.

I'll also do a post on why my husband and I are sugar free. There's never processed sugar in our house but I have gone a step further for hubby.

I had a little bit of filling left over so I made it into rissoles and baked them for about 20mins, maybe a bit too long as they dried out. But!! all was not last, they are great little treats for my Roxi dog.

I used to be able to buy butter pastry that was just flour and butter, OMG, does anyone know where I can get some. I'm using the one from Aldi which has a few additives. I looked them all up on my Chemical Maze app and all have a smiley face and seem to be natural so I was ok with that. Love Aldi, whoever is in charge there is onto the whole foods thing as I find just about everything that they brand themselves is fine. The Chemical Maze app is great, I recommend it to everyone. I use it a lot when shopping. I can check on new products in store and decide straight away if it's worth purchasing. Here is a link Chemical Maze to purchase from iTunes for both iPhone and android.


Sausage rolls - meat free, sugar free

Makes 8 large or 16 small (plus some left over filling which i made into ball and backed)

Ingredients:
1 cup cottage cheese or a nut cheese if dairy free
½ cup walnuts
3 eggs
1 medium onion – chopped
1 tbs dried mixed herb
2 tbs Tamari
1 tsp Massal stock powder – I used chicken (it has no animal products in it!)
1 tsp Cajun spice mix – optional
1 tsp crushed garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup quick oats or normal oats blended into a meal/flour
½ cup breadcrumbs – I toasted wholemeal bread and made my own in the blender
¼ cup flax seeds – you could also ground it, I didn't.
2 sheets puff pastry – additive free preferably!
Milk or egg for brushing

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 180oc

Place walnuts into a food processor and blend until a course meal, add everything up to the  oats and blend for about 20 seconds, add remaining ingredients and blend until its combined and fairly smooth. Not too smooth that its mushy, leave a little bit of texture. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes so that it thickens.

Meanwhile line a backing tray with baking paper and get your puff pastry out and place onto a bench. Spoon sausage like strips down the centre of 4 halved pastry sheets then roll making sure that they overlap. Cut in half and transfer to the baking tray.

Brush tops with milk or egg and bake for 30-40 minutes or until nicely browned and crispy. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before devouring.

Enjoy!
 My little buddy waiting for go for a walk with her new Bunjibag and lead.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)